5/17/2007

School - Reflection P1

So you are probably wondering what have I discovered....Well, as I said I spent most of week 3 reflecting on my thoughts and deciding how was best to help. I wanted to help more than I was able with only 1 child turning up to the clinic but had to figure out how this was best to happen. Also it was frustrating to know that in 6 weeks time I would leave and it is unlikely that for these kids there was going to be much change and the therapy would not continue, so I changed tact this week.
I decided that it would be easier to help, and have a greater effect by working in the school environment, which happens on the same premises as the clinic. In this way I can work directly with the kids and there are others there that when I leave can continue the suggestions.
This is a school for children both with and without disabilities aged 3-8 years, and very small. Only about 30 children at the school. A class for preschool, a class for older children with severe disabilities and two other integrated classes. As the school is on the same site as the clinic I can only presume the children with disabilities primarily have neurological disabilties but am still struggling with the diagnosis translation from spanish.
This has worked out wonderfully and the teachers are open to ideas and suggestions...I am still struggling for resources and language but now I actually feel as though I am making a diference.
One child I buddy walk every play time for 20 minutes which she loves, and her walking has improved dramastically in 4 days because now she walks everywhere with help. I think before she was carried everywhere and left to sit in the corner of teh playground and watch. I have also adapted the seating, using magazines, for one 4 year old boy and introduced the preschool class to the importance of plasticine, this has now been brought into the daily programme for all kids in this class because I suggested it for one girl with very weak hand grip.
It is amazing how adaptable the staff are and welcoming for suggestions...This is definately a better way to work when volunteering for only a short time.

No hay comentarios: