6/02/2007

Culture cont

Yet another installment on culture but this one is going to be short...
-Transport....I haven't yet mentioned the motorbikes, it is rare to see a helmet, it is rare to see just one person on one, and it would be more common to see a family - mum, dad and kids - all on one motorbike. I even saw one baby being bottle fed while riding over speedbumps on a motorbike.
Theres also the bicycles, they are the same, but usually this is a younger people thing and the guy will be riding and the girl perched on the bar just in front of the seat.
-Greetings...Of course theres the kiss on the cheek, sometimes 2 depending on the person. And they will shake hands if they think your a gringo not accustomed to Latin American ways.
-Rudeness...Blowing you nose in public or in the company of others is frowned upon. Burping is the ultimate no no! Farting is not common place but not a big no no. But spitting, although most people don't like it, they all do it, even my host grandma spits out the door of the car! And it doesn't matter who you are with or who else is around.
-Fiestas...I think I may have mentioned, but they are always important, and there is always cake, dancing and karaoke, even if there is only 6 people at the house as there was for my leaving party last night, and ron (rum) if adults are there.

1 comentario:

Brandon dijo...

This is a wonderful blog! It is great to see OT represented internationally. I am an OT student in Oregon and I'm hoping to work abroad in Latin America after working for 3-5 years in the states. I would love any guidance you are willing to provide on recommended work experiences, organizations to get involved with, any tips on how best to prepare, etc...

I studied abroad in Quito in 2005 and fell in love with the people, culture, and the country. I plan to continue to follow your blog! Keep up the great work!

Brandon